Subject: Re: [tools-dev] Re: Git benchmarks at OpenOffice.org wiki

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 02:48:22 +0200

On Thu, May 02, 2007, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> On Thursday 03 May 2007 01:30, Jakub Narebski wrote:

>>> We should better split the OOo sources; it's a process that already
>>> started [UNO runtime environment vs. OOo without URE], and I proposed
>>> some more changes already.
>>
>> In my opinion each submodule should be able to compile and test by
>> itself. You can go X.Org route with splitting sources into modules...
> 
> Indeed, this is the case of URE - it is supposed to run by separately & be 
> used even by other projects than OOo.
> 
>> or you can make use of the new submodules support (currently plumbing
>> level, i.e. low level commands), aka. gitlinks.
> 
> And this would be interesting for the translations, I guess...
> 
>> The submodules support makes it possible to split sources into
>> independent modules (parts), which can be developed independently,
>> and which you can download (clone, fetch) or not, while making it
>> possible to bind it all together into one superproject.

By the way, even without submodule support, which for now is plumbing
level only, it would be possible to pull separate subprojects into main
project, like git repository does now with gitk repository, and with
git-gui repository. The latter is merged putting git-gui files in separate
directory in git.git repository, via using 'subtree' merge strategy.

Submodules / subprojects are something similar to Subversion svn:externals
done right.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland