Subject: Re: FFmpeg considering GIT

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 19:52:22 +0200

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 22:13:44 +1000, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Linus Torvalds writes:
> 
> > Finally, it realy _should_ check that the first 7 characters of the commit 
> > log (the ones it ignores by just asking for substring 7..) are actually 
> > the exact characters "commit ", but I'll blame my lack of comfort with the 
> > language again.
> 
> I have thought about rewriting it in a different language, but I
> haven't found anything that really appeals.  I don't want to go to
> C/GTK or C/Qt since that would make it hard to port to Windows and

C/Gtk would be perfectly portable. As would C++/Gtk, Python/Gtk and Perl/Gtk.
C++/Qt4 would be perfectly portable as well, so choose whichever you find
easier to work with. For C/C++ they are on par, for Python/Perl/Ruby I think
Gtk has better bindings.

> MacOS AFAIK.  Python/Tk would be a possibility, but I have never
> learnt python and I'm actually not all that comfortable with having to
> do things the object-oriented way.

I would actually recommend against Python/Tk, because (tried it) py2exe does
not work seem to work with it, so you couldn't wrap it to easy to install
binary for windows folks. I did not try Python/Gtk, but I expect you might
have better luck with it (it's the Tcl/Tk interpreter that causes problems).

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>