Subject: Re: [FAQ?] Rationale for git's way to manage the index

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:41:14 -0400

Karl Hasselstr??m <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I thought "git add -i" was the best thing since sliced bread -- until
> I found the same feature in git-gui, but with a _much_ better
> interface. Just right-click on a hunk in a diff, and you have the
> option of staging/unstaging that hunk. Pure magic.

"git add -i" has a hunk splitting feature that git-gui lacks.
I'm thinking of adding features to git-gui to let you select a
region of a hunk using the text selection, and then stage only
that selection.  I also want to let you revert hunks from the
working directory copy.

But after reading Junio's comments about "git add -i" being a
possibly bad idea and instead letting you park everything into
a shelf, reset --hard your working directory to HEAD and then
pull things back off the shelf to be staged, I might want to
do that differently in git-gui...  like use a shelf.  ;-)

But I'm glad someone else finds the hunk feature useful in
git-gui.  I use it far too often myself.

-- 
Shawn.