Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add --no-reuse-delta, --window, and --depth options to git-gc

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 23:21:22 -0400

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:13:58PM -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2007, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> 
> > Sometimes users might want to use more aggressive packing options
> > when doing a git-gc.  This allows them to do so without having
> > to use the low-level plumbing commands.
> 
> The 'git repack' command isn't _that_ low level, is it?  
> git-pack-objects is plumbing for sure, but not git-repack?
> 
> Especially if you're aware and interested in those options, you won't be 
> afraid of 'git repack -a -f -d --window=...".
> 
> In the context of "gc", having an option that reads "window" looks a bit 
> strange too.

I suppose, but you either need to then know all of the other commands
which git-gc runs, and do them manually, skipping git-gc altogether,
or use git-gc, and end up rewriting the pack twice, ince using the
git-repack in git-gc, and then once manually so you can give the
options that you really want to give to git-repack.

Maybe the right approach is to have a way to specify default --window
and --depth as git configuration variables?  Looks like there is a
pack.window already, but not a pack.depth.

What if we add a pack.depth configuration option, and add only
--no-reuse-delta to git-gc?   Would that be better?

						- Ted