Subject: Re: git rebase chokes on directory -> symlink -> directory

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 18:04:18 -0400

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  * git-rebase with -m is dog slow.  There were people who
>    advocated to make it the default, but they probably are
>    either working in a very small project, or working on a
>    filesystem that even git-apply is slow that the speed
>    difference does not matter to them.

That would have been me saying make -m default.  Because on git.git
I don't really see a huge performance difference on my Mac, and the
bigger projects that I work on are on Cygwin, where *everything*
is slow as hell.

The few places there that I do need rebase, I actually also need
the rename detection that am -3 or rebase -m would do, so I just
wind up paying the penalty anyway.  Or really I just get burned
because I run the op without the magic "do what I really need"
flag, and it dies, and I have to reset and start it again, which
just takes longer than if -3 or -m was the default.

But that's not the situation everyone else has, so its reasonable
that -m ain't the default.  ;-)

-- 
Shawn.