Subject: Re: [FAQ?] Rationale for git's way to manage the index

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 18:06:49 -0400

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > And unlike the "simpler" model of committing individual hunks
> > with "git add -i" or something like that, my model is actually
> > much superior!
> 
> I obviously agree with this.  As I said a few times I regret
> introducing "add -i" --- it encourages a wrong workflow, in that
> what you commit in steps never match what you had in the working
> tree and could have tested until the very end.

Which is why I'm considering shelving support (of some kind) in
git-gui...  but I'm probably not going to take away the current
index view, nor am I going to take away the current hunk selection.

But I would like to make it easier for non-patching-editing gods
(Linus) to pull hunks in from a shelf, test them, and commit them.

Said shelf probably would be another branch, much as Linus' nicely
documented workflow does...

-- 
Shawn.