Subject: Re: [FAQ?] Rationale for git's way to manage the index

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 03:06:03 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> -'git-add' [-n] [-v] [-f] [--interactive | -i] [-u] [--] <file>...
>> +'git-add' [-n] [-v] [-f] (-u [[--] <file>...] | [--] <file>...)
> 
> I do not think this is correct; does -u take optionally path and
> when path is ambiguous you can add -- to disambiguate?
[...]
With *current* implementation you should take previous patch, 
amended, with the following synopsis:

-'git-add' [-n] [-v] [-f] [--interactive | -i] [-u] [--] <file>...
+'git-add' [-n] [-v] [-f] (-u | [--] <file>...)
+'git-add' (--interactive | -i)

> Of course, I would prefer a patch to allow use of paths with -u
> even more, but that is what I already said ;-).

The following synopsis is for such case:

-'git-add' [-n] [-v] [-f] [--interactive | -i] [-u] [--] <file>...
+'git-add' [-n] [-v] [-f] (-u [[--] <file>...] | [--] <file>...)
+'git-add' (--interactive | -i)

This is for "-u take optionally path and when path is ambiguous you can 
add -- to disambiguate", for example if you have '--interactive' file.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland