Subject: Re: [PATCH] Allow the ident attribute to include a length specifier

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:29:54 +0100

On Monday 2007 May 14, Andy Parkins wrote:
> When the ident attribute is found for a path, then git replaces $ident$
> with:
>
>   $ident: df2a1fd3ebce86876721bd7e12ce02ac89c885db $

Is it too late to request a change to this?  Make the field $Id$.  $Id$ is 
present already in SVN and CVS; it would mean that people converting their 
existing repositories won't have to make any changes to the source files 
should they want to make use of the ident attribute.

Given that it's a feature that's meant to calm those very people, it seems 
obtuse to make them edit every file just to make use of it.

I think that bzr uses $Id$; Mercurial has examples for $Id$; monotone has $Id$ 
on its wishlist.  I can't think of a good reason not to stick with the 
de-facto standard and call ours $Id$ instead of $ident$.

(I accept that this doesn't help those using $Author$, $Rev$, etc, but it's 
better than nothing)

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]