Subject: Re: Opinions on bug fix organisation

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 17:38:19 -0400

Andy Parkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> What is your preference when, for example, you have already merged a 
> topic to next but then a bug fix appears?
> 
>  * -- * -- * -- M -- F         * -- * -- * -- M -- m (next)
>                /        or                   /    /
>     B -- * -- *                   B -- * -- * -- F (topic)
> 
> F is certainly most appropriate to be on the topic branch, but we create 
> a perhaps excessively verbose extra merge, m.

Look at the history of the next branch; the diagram on the right is
exactly what Junio does.  When topic finally graduates to master,
only F is merged to master, making master's own history not show
that "verbose extra merge" m.  Or M really for that matter, as
master gets its own M'.

-- 
Shawn.