Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-gui: Build even if tclsh is not available

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 04:36:14 +0200

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:18:58AM CEST, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> I have a couple of problems with the patch as-is.  The first is
> of course that the patch needs to be split into two; one patch for
> the git-gui subdirectory itself and one for git.git.

Hmm, why? It's an atomic change, one part doesn't make sense without the
other.

> My other problem is 
> 
> >  ifeq ($(findstring $(MAKEFLAGS),s),s)
> > @@ -92,7 +92,7 @@ install: all
> >  	$(INSTALL) git-gui '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitexecdir_SQ)'
> >  	$(foreach p,$(GITGUI_BUILT_INS), rm -f '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitexecdir_SQ)/$p' && ln '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitexecdir_SQ)/git-gui' '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitexecdir_SQ)/$p' ;)
> >  	$(INSTALL) -d -m755 '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(libdir_SQ)'
> > -	$(INSTALL) -m644 lib/tclIndex '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(libdir_SQ)'
> > +	[ ! -e lib/tclIndex ] || $(INSTALL) -m644 lib/tclIndex '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(libdir_SQ)'
> >  	$(foreach p,$(ALL_LIBFILES), $(INSTALL) -m644 $p '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(libdir_SQ)' ;)
> 
> git-gui won't work if lib/tclIndex is missing or invalid.  So not
> installing it means we should just disable git-gui entirely.

Aha, ouch - I understood that it is only an optimization. :-(

So AIUI, there are several possibilities:

  (i) Makefile will autodecide on whether git-gui will be
built+installed or not

  (ii) ./configure will, people not using configure and building on
servers will be left to tweak config manually

  (iii) ./configure will, git-gui will default to not to be built and
people not using configure and wanting git-gui will be left to tweak
config manually

I suspect that (ii) will be chosen, and even though I don't like it
*personally* I guess it's the most reasonable approach for the general
public. I didn't know that tclIndex is vital for git-gui when I
submitted the patch, the /Makefile comment suggests otherwise.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/
Ever try. Ever fail. No matter. // Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
		-- Samuel Beckett