Subject: Re: Commit ID in exported Tar Ball

From: Johan Herland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:28:34 +0200

On Thursday 17 May 2007, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 06:57:22PM +0200, Johan Herland wrote:
> > Of course, it all depends on whether the $Id$ conversion is triggered by 
> > git-archive...
> 
> Another possibility might be to add a commandline switch to git-archive
> so you can decide whether the commit id should be added as a header to
> the tar file (which it already supports) or as a ordinary file (which
> should be reasonable trivial to implement). The question if whether
> it would be worth to add that feature. Don't know if there are many
> other users out there that need it.

Although this efficiently solves Michael's problem, I still think the ideal 
solution would be for git-archive to do the same conversions/filters as a 
regular checkout would. Otherwise, we'll easily get into situations where 
a git-archive tree is different enough from a "regular" working tree to 
cause annoying differences in behaviour.

Have fun!

...Johan

-- 
Johan Herland, <[email-masked]>
www.herland.net