Subject: Re: autocrlf

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:32:54 +0100

On Friday 2007 May 18, Johannes Sixt wrote:

> > What actually happens is that any file with the crlf attribute is being
> > checked out with LF expanded to CRLF (I'm running Linux of course), which
> > is completely not what I wanted.
>
> If I understand the documentation correctly
> (Documentation/gitattributes.txt) then you set core.autocrlf to true on
> Windows and false everywhere else, and things should start working like
> you imagined.

Presumably then it is defaulting to false for Linux as everything is working 
fine for me at present.  However, that is not the case when I set the crlf 
attribute.

Documentation/gitattributes.txt:

This attribute controls the line-ending convention.

Set::

    Setting the `crlf` attribute on a path is meant to mark
    the path as a "text" file.  'core.autocrlf' conversion
    takes place without guessing the content type by
    inspection.

I read that as meaning the automatic detection of file type is overridden by 
the crlf attribute.  What I'm actually seeing is that it has the same effect 
as enabling "autocrlf = true" for that file.  As you say "autocrlf = true" is 
for windows, the crlf attribute should not be forcing it on as that then 
applies to all platforms.

I think this is a bug.  The code agrees with the observed behaviour but not 
with the documentation.  Patch to follow.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]