Subject: Using git to store /etc, redux

From: David Härdeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 19:48:15 +0200

I recently had the idea to store and track /etc using git. When googling 
the topic I came across the "Using git to store /etc" thread from the 
end of last year which provided some interesting details on what would 
be necessary.

It seems the file metadata (owner, group, mode, xattrs, etc) was the big 
stumbling point, so I wrote up a tool over the last few days which 
allows the metadata to be stored in a separate file which can be stored 
along with the rest of the data in the repo (or separately).

This is also useful for tripwire type checks and for other types of 
storage which drops some of the metadata (tar comes to mind)...

The tool (metastore) is available from: 
git://git.hardeman.nu/metastore.git

Not completely cleaned up yet (it lacks a real README and some Makefile 
targets) but I hope it might be useful to others (it sure is to me).

Please CC me on any replies.

-- 
David Härdeman