Subject: Re: [RFC] Third round of support for cloning submodules

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:41:57 +0200

hoi :)

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:44:16PM +0200, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> There should be a way for a superproject to specify useful sets of
> subprojects for different developer roles, and these sets should be
> versioned. It is also useful for a superproject to be able to say
> "for this subproject to work, that other subprojects needs to be
> checked out".

What subprojects to use is the responsibility of the build system and
we should not step on its shoes too much.
We should provide a simple way to populate a submodule, but all the
dependency handling should really be done in the build system /
package handling system on top of git, IMHO.

Perhaps we can simply provide "cd $subproject && git clone" to
automatically fetch all needed stuff from a default location and
checkout that subproject.
Then we can integrate that command in bitbake and whatnot or start
a new configuration management system on top of git which uses
dependencies from Makefiles etc. to automatically check out the
right set of subprojects.  But that should really be on top of git.

-- 
Martin Waitz