Subject: Re: [PATCH 11/22] entry.c: optionally checkout submodules

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 03:18:19 -0400

Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 5/24/07, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >+       args[argc++] = "checkout";
> >+       if (state->force)
> >+           args[argc++] = "-f";
> >+       args[argc++] = sha1_to_hex(ce->sha1);
> >+       args[argc] = NULL;
> 
> You should consider passing "-v" if the superprojects read-tree
> had it. Some submodules will be annoyingly big

In 1.5.2 that -v shouldn't be necessary.  The read-tree should
start a timer, and if it has not reached 50% of its processing
within 2 seconds it starts showing progress.  Unless !istty(2),
in which case it just sits there, chugging away at your drive.

I'm actually really unhappy with our !istty(2) means disable
progress thing.  git-gui knows how to read and show the progress
meters, but nobody prints them anymore as 2 is a pipe.  I have the
same problem with a Java build tool that sometimes starts up an
expensive Git operation (like a clone over SSH of a 60+ MiB project).

I've been considering adding a GIT_ISTTY environment variable to
forcefully override the istty result, just to get the progress
meters turned back on...

-- 
Shawn.