Subject: News reader woes (was: Re: [3/4] What's not in 1.5.2 (new topics))

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:55:35 +0200

On Sun, 20 May 2007, Petr Baudis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 08:45:16PM CEST, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Julian Phillips <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> On Fri, 18 May 2007, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>>> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>
>>>>> [Cc: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>, Josef Weidendorfer
>>>>> <[email-masked]>, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <[email-masked]>,
>>>>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>, Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>,
>>>>> Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]]
>>>>
>>>> Offtopic.  Why do you do this, and what benefit are you or
>>>> anybody in the above list, which is in body part of the message,
>>>> getting?
>>>
>>> It looks like he is posting through gmane using a news reader ... so
>>> the list post comes from gmane while the CCs go out directly (I
>>> assume).
>> 
>> Ah, I see.  The names listed on that in-body CC: do appear on
>> the To: in the copy of the message that came via e-mail.  If
>> that is how gmane operates then there is nothing Jakub to do to
>> improve it, I guess...
>> 
>> Thanks for the clarification.
> 
> Actually, Jakub, if it can be turned off, could you, please?
> 
> Not getting cc'd on replies is slightly annoying. But this is highly
> confusing - suddenly I must take care _not_ to reply to the private
> copies, and we actually do have a parallel subthread of replies to your
> mail not cc'd to the mailing list. :-(

The problem, and mentioned above trying to overcome it, lies in
complicated interaction between the GMane news to email gateway,
vger mail filtering (spam protection rules) and the _news_ reader
I use, namely KNode 0.10.2 from KDE 3.5.3.

I read git mailing list via GMane NNTP (Usenet, news) interface:
  nntp://gmane.comp.version-control.git
as I respond only rarely. I start new threads using email, and
if I get reply via email I try to reply also from mail client, not
via news. However, when replying to message which I read only via
NNTP interface, replying in news client, I have option of sending
reply only to gmane.comp.version-control.git which means sending
email only to git mailing list and breaking Cc: list. 

Another option is to copy Cc: list manually to To: field (no Cc:
in this version of KNode), and have gmane.comp.version-control.git
in the Group: field.  The fact that there is no Cc: to set is the
problem of KNode.  The problem with GMane and vger interaction lies
in the fact that I _cannot_ put [email-masked] in the To: list,
as somehow vger rejects mails sent via GMane (it does not rejects
news messages send via GMane).

I could also copy whole message to mail client, but this would break
In-Reply-To: and references: headers, thus breaking threading.

Do I understand correctly that you prefer 1st option, namely replying
only to newsgroup / git mailing list?

Note that changing news client is as hard as changing email client:
you would like to migrate configuration, news state (read/unread
articles) and sent/drafts folders to new news client. Not that easy.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland