Subject: Re: GIT on MinGW problem

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:57:05 -0400

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> BTW Almost any operation I run in git-gui fails, because cat is
> not found.

That's the stuff that goes into a console and dumps both to
stdout and stderr.  E.g. fetch, push, "compress database".

The issue is Tcl doesn't give me a way to get a pipe to both stdout
and stderr.  I cannot get two pipes, nor can I get a single pipe
with both stdout+stderr redirected to that pipe.  Unless I pipe
it into another process.  Enter `cat`.

Would we consider a "--stderr-to-stdout" long option to git itself?
Then I could have git-gui do:

	git --stderr-to-stdout fetch

and bypass the pipe into cat.  Yes, I know, its crap.  Welcome to
Tcl.

-- 
Shawn.