Subject: Re: [PATCH] Git wrapper: add --redirect-stderr option

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 23:38:30 -0400

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> With this option, stderr is redirected to stdout. The short option is '-2'.
> 
> Alternatively, you can say '--redirect-stderr=<filename>' to redirect
> stderr to a file.

Yes, that works nicely.  ;-)

Now here's my other problem: How does git-gui know the underlying
git will accept --redirect-stderr?  Or that it supports any other
recent features we've developed?

Sure I can check the version, but until I know what version of Git
its shipping in I cannot put the check into git-gui.

I was thinking about adding a "git-supported-features" plumbing
command that prints back feature code strings, much as our
network protocol supplies back the few feature codes it supports
("multi-ack", "sideband", etc.).  E.g.:

  $ git supported-features
  redirect-stderr
  ...

That way higher level Porcelain can poll the plumbing to see what
is available, and what isn't.

-- 
Shawn.