Subject: Refactoring the tag object; Introducing soft references (softrefs); Git 'notes' (take 2)

From: Johan Herland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 02:51:05 +0200

(In response to the earlier thread on the git 'notes' feature/idea: "[PATCH 
00/15] git-note: A mechanism for providing free-form after-the-fact 
annotations on commits")

Ok, this is getting too big for me to ship all in one patch series, so I'm 
gonna have to split it up. Right now I'm thinking three patch series, but 
as I'm not near finished yet, that may change.

The three patch series I'm talking about are:

1. Refactoring the git tag object. This lays down part of the groundwork 
needed to support the second incarnation of git 'notes'. This is all ready 
to go and should follow shortly after this mail.

2. Introducing soft references (softrefs). Softrefs is the general mechanism 
behind the "reverse mapping" needed to support 'notes', as discussed in the 
previous thread. I'm still working on this patch series, and it will 
hopefully be ready soon-ish.

3. Reimplementing git 'notes' on top of (1) and (2). This should be fairly 
easy (once (2) is done), as it's mostly a matter of building a simple 
porcelain on top of (1) and (2).

Have fun!

...Johan

-- 
Johan Herland, <[email-masked]>
www.herland.net