Subject: Re: Improved git-gui blame viewer

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:38:27 +0200

hoi :)

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 02:07:20AM -0400, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> >   When clicking on a light gray line to become a green line, then
> >   adjacent areas are not correctly colored.  A few adjacent entries
> >   become all same gray... [Look around git-gui.sh:340]
> 
> This (I think) is because of the way the color selections are
> being done.  git-gui is being stupid and just alternating colors to
> commits as they come in from `git blame --incremental`.  The thing
> about the incremental blame is I can receive data for any part of
> the file at any time.  So in general what happens is I get data for
> one part of the file, give it color A, then data for another part,
> give it color B, and then get data for part that is right next to the
> first A and assign it A again.  So you see chunks where there is no
> alternating...

If you use three colors you can always select one which is different
to the hunk above and below.  But I don't know if that would be
visually appealing...

Another nice thing would be a smooth gradient for each hunk.
Then we could use the same colors for every hunk, but the top of each
hunk would be a little bit lighter/darker than the bottom so that
it is easy to see the border.  Is that doable in Tk?
Perhaps a simple small line between hunks is enough, too?

-- 
Martin Waitz