Subject: Re: Improved git-gui blame viewer

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:48:52 +0200

hoi :)

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 04:21:56AM -0400, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> I think so, but its ugly.  The viewer is actually 4 text widgets
> crammed next to each other.  I can set the background color of a
> line by giving it a tag, so to do a gradient I have to assign a
> different background color to each line by giving each line its
> own tag (ick).  Worse, in a 3 line chunk I can only do 3 colors.
> That fails your "smooth" concept.  ;-)

yeah, if each line has a solid background that does not work :-(

> > Perhaps a simple small line between hunks is enough, too?
> 
> That would be messy.  I can certainly cause a few pixels of spacing
> to show up between chunks, but I'm reading the data "live" from the
> blame engine and putting it on screen.  Adding space betwen chunks
> as I get it will cause the data to "reflow" while you are trying to
> read it.  I can probably account for it with the scrollbar and adjust
> it accordingly, but at some point you will wind up seeing the text
> in the viewer pane moving around and expanding as the padding gets
> tossed in.

Well, it would work if you could just draw a one-pixel line (in some
subtle gray) inbetween lines, without changing the layout.

> BTW, I just got the jump-to-original line and restore-view-on-back
> features that Matthijs was asking about working properly.  Apparently
> a call to Tk's "update" (basically just let Tk pump its event loop)
> is needed after I've finished reading the file content, but before I
> adjust the view.  Its in my pu branch now (gitgui-0.7.2-58-gf9e96fd).

nice :-)

-- 
Martin Waitz