Subject: Re: Git Vs. Svn for a project which *must* distribute binaries too.

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:18:47 -0400

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 12:48:17PM +0100, Bryan Childs wrote:
> 2) Unlike the Linux Kernel, which Linus uses as a prime example of
> something git is very useful for, the Rockbox project has no central
> figurehead for anyone to consider as owning the "master" repository
> from which to build the "current" version of the Rockbox firmware for
> any given target.

> 3) With a central repository, for which we have a limited number of
> individuals having commit access, it's easy for us to automate a build
> based on each commit the repository receives.

You might want to take a look at http://repo.or.cz for an example of
how you can have a limited number of trusted inidividuals with commit
access.  As has been said before, <SCM> is not a substitute for
communication, and if you have multiple people who can commit into a
repository, you had better make sure those trusted individuals with
commit access are talking to each other.  

There are some folks who have created hooks to do more fine-grained
access control systems, if you want to replicate SVN's ability to
control who can commit to which branch.  

Regards,

						- Ted