Subject: Re: [CORRECTED PATCH] Introduce file with the common default build-time items.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 01:58:13 -0400

Eygene Ryabinkin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 11:22:04PM -0400, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> > > OK, it means that git-gui will be totally separated from the
> > > git.git?  And one will download it as the separate tarball?
> > 
> > That's one option.  But Junio and I are also considering keeping
> > it inside the git tarball as well, as many users have gotten used
> > to it being in the core Git distribution.  I think it all depends
> > on if myself (or someone else) adds subproject recursion support
> > into git-archive.  ;-)
> 
> OK, I just wondered what to expect from the 1.6, since I am
> trying to keep FreeBSD port in sync with the latest Git release.

Heh.  Got a crystal ball?

I'm not sure anyone knows what the 1.6 release will look like yet.
Right now I know we're trying to get the submodule user interface
built and stable, before we start eating that dogfood as part of
the core Git code itself.  But we do want to be using our own tools
to build our tools.  ;-)

1.6 is just a number thrown on the wall as its likely that by the
time we get around to having a release worthy of the name 1.6 enough
users will be running a 1.5.2 or newer that has at least some of
the basic plumbing and porcelain for subprojects that it wouldn't
be a problem if we started using it ourselves in the git.git project.

-- 
Shawn.