Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] --decorate now decorates ancestors, too

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:27:14 -0400

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 02:29:49AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> 
> The option --decorate changed default behavior: Earlier, it decorated
> commits pointed to by any ref.  The new behavior is this: decorate the
> with the given refs and its ancestors, i.e.
> 
> 	git log --decorate next master
> 
> will show "next", "next^", "next~2", ..., "master", "master^", ...
> in parenthesis after the commit name.

I'm wondering how useful the default is.  The arguments get used for
two things; both for git-log to decide what revisions to display, and
which refs to decorate, right?  I'm not sure that overloading is such
a great idea.

Also, I note that "git log --decorate" does nothing at all.  Maybe it
would be better to keep the default to be "any-ref" instead of "given"?

		      	 	   	    - Ted