Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: snapshot cleanups & support for offering multiple formats

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:55:49 +0200

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Matt McCutchen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +# information about snapshot formats that gitweb is capable of serving
>> +# name => [mime type, filename suffix, --format for git-archive,
>> +#          compressor command suffix]
>> +our %known_snapshot_formats = (
>> +	'tgz'  => ['application/x-gzip' , '.tar.gz' , 'tar', '| gzip' ],
>> +	'tbz2' => ['application/x-bzip2', '.tar.bz2', 'tar', '| bzip2'],
>> +	'zip'  => ['application/zip'    , '.zip'    , 'zip', ''       ],
>> +);

> This is a very nice clean-up, and I agree we should go this
> route in the longer term.

I agree that is a nice cleanup.

I'm not sure if we want to store whole 'application/x-gzip' or only
'x-gzip' part of mime type, and if we want to store compressor as
'| gzip' or simply as 'gzip'.
 
> This however will break people's existing gitweb configuration,
> so if we were to do this it should be post 1.5.3, I would say.

This would break not only existing _gitweb_ configuration (when
gitweb admin installs new gitweb it isn't that hard to correct
gitweb config), but also git _repositories_ config: gitweb.snapshot
no longer work as it worked before, for example neither 'gzip'
nor 'bzip2' values work anymore ('zip' doesn't stop working).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland