Subject: Re: Perforce support.

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:51:52 +0200

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 11:34:56 -0700, Govind Salinas wrote:
> I have been playing around with git for a month or so and have started
> writing, what I hope will be, a nice GUI over git that works well on
> Windows (Cygwin) and offers some feeling of familiarity to our
> Perforce users.  That however is only half the problem.

There are already several guis for git. None of them covers complete git
functionality, but if you can start adding functionality to one of them
instead of starting from scratch, it would give you a good head start. At
least the git-gui (in Tcl/Tk, part of git distribution) and qgit4
(git://repo.or.cz/qgit4.git, discuss changes on the git mailing list -- se
also http://digilander.libero.it/mcostalba/, but that only discusses the
previous Qt3-based branch) work on Windows.

> We need to be able to go back and forth to our main Perforce depot,
> and while I understand that git-svn support is very good, I have only
> seen limited support of Perforce.  I was wondering if anyone has been
> using git with p4 and how well did it work.  We have very complex and
> somewhat large "clients" that do a lot of mapping of directories
> (which strikes me as particularly insane) and I was wondering if any
> of the tools support that.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions/guidance on how to do this I would appreciate 
> it.

Search the list. The archive at http://marc.info/?l=git provides quite
sensible search support. There were some interesting discussions about
perforce in last few months.

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>