Subject: Re: StGIT (or guilt) + git-svn?

From: Steven Walter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:27:06 -0400

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:20:41PM +0800, Steven Grimm wrote:
> Anyone have experience mixing git-svn with either StGIT or guilt? A 
> coworker of mine was asking if he could do local versioning of files he 
> has no intention of committing to svn. He wanted a ".git-svnignore" kind 
> of scheme but I think his use case sounds like the sort of thing StGIT 
> and guilt are designed for. What I'm not sure about is whether git-svn 
> will confuse those tools or vice versa. I don't think I've ever seen 
> that combo discussed on the list.
> 
> -Steve

Well, I can say that stgit and git-svn in no way interfere with each
other.  I tend to use stgit to clean up my patch sets before commiting
them, and have never had a problem.  Thinking about what the tools do, I
can't imagine that it would cause a problem.

That said, I'm not sure that stgit will help you with "local versioning"
of files (I'm not even sure what you mean).  Perhaps you can elaborate
on this point.
-- 
-Steven Walter <[email-masked]>
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
   -Robert Heinlein