Subject: Re: Gitweb and submodules

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:09:03 +0200

On Sun,29 July 2007, Sven Verdoolaege wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 10:39:28PM +0200, Jakub Narebski wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 July 2007, Sven Verdoolaege wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 12:29:16PM +0200, Jakub Narebski wrote:
 
>> I am thinking about the following sequence to search for submodule
>> objects:
>> 
>> From $GIT_DIR/config:
>>   submodule.$name.objects (absolute or relative to gitdir of superproject)
>>   submodule.$name.gitdir  (absolute or relative to gitdir of superproject)
> 
> Do we really need both of these?

We need only location of object database for projects. The submodule
does not need full GIT_DIR structure, with refs, config, etc.

So no, I'm not sure if we want both. They are equivalent to setting
GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY and GIT_DIR for submodule, respectively.
 
>>   submodule.$name.url     (to find GIT_DIR, if it is local filesystem URL)
>> 
>> If there is working directory, from .gitmodules file in top level
>> of working directory:

Or the .git/config of superproject.

>>   submodule.$name.path/.git (relative to toplevel of working directory)
> 
> Having a relative path for the URL in .gitmodules in a public repo
> doesn't seem very useful to me.  I know it's only meant as a default
> value, but if it is a relative path, then it won't work for
> anyone cloning the superproject.

Erm, it should be relative path in .git/config (as in example in the
t/t7400-submodule-basic.sh IIRC). And this is purely local matter.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland