Subject: Re: [RFC] per-user ignore file

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:41:43 +0200

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 16:28:13 -0400, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> It would be nice to have a per-user ignore file, so that emacs users can 
> ignore "*~", "#*#", and ".#*". Probably this should be in the form of 
> having a config option for additional ignore file names, so that the user 
> can decide where to put it. (E.g., ~/.gitignore would be an issue if the 
> user is tracking their home directory with git and wants to ignore some 
> files in the home directory repository but track similarly named files in 
> some other repository). Are there any fundamental issues with this, or is 
> it just that nobody's been sufficiently motivated to do it?

I believe the later. Though I also believe it would be useful.

An alternative to separate file would be to include it into .gitconfig
as multi-valued key. Something like:

[core]
ignore = *~
ignore = #*#
ignore = .#*
ignore = .*.sw[nop]

and so on. Could be reused in .git/config as replacement for
.git/info/exclude if desired.

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>