Subject: Re: [RFC (take 2) Git User's Survey 2007

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 02:45:55 +0200

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > How you use GIT
> > 
> >     8. Which porcelains do you use?
> >        (zero or more: multiple choice)
> >     -  core-git, cogito, StGIT, pg, guilt, egit (Eclipse), other
> >     9. Which git GUI do you use
> >        (zero or more: multiple choice)
> >     -  gitk, git-gui, qgit, gitview, giggle, tig, instaweb,
> >        (h)gct, qct, KGit, other
> 
> I'll give you git-gui as a GUI here instead of a porcelain.
> 
> But I *seriously* object to calling egit a porcelain.  egit is a
> complete reimplementation of git in Java.  Calling it a porcelain
> is wrong.  Robin, David and myself have put a considerable amount
> of effort into keeping egit 100% pure Java, so it is Write Once,
> Test Everywhere.
> 
> The _only_ code that egit has borrowed from core Git has been the
> packfile delta decompressor.  Everything else is a reimplementation.
> Just not 100% blackbox, as the egit developers have looked at the
> core Git source before.  Heck, we have even been known to contribute
> a patch here or there to core Git.  :)
> 
> All of the other porcelains that you listed reuse the core Git
> plumbing and are thus true porcelain.  But egit doesn't.

O.K. I was not sure where to put egit (if put it at all). 
Implementations? Currently we have core-git in C, egit in Java (what is 
the progress report on this front?), and there was GSoC project of 
Git.NET (but it didn't start I think).

Do you want question about egit in the survey?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland