Subject: Git benchmark - comparison with Bazaar, Darcs, Git and Mercurial

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 02:16:59 +0200

I have lately added new Git speed benchmark, from Bryan Murdock blog. 
The repository is bit untypical:

<quote>  
  By performance, I mean that I used the UNIX time command to see how
  long various basic operations took. Performing the various basic
  operations gave me some insight into the usability of each as well.
  For this test I used a directory with 266 MB of files, 258 KB of which
  were text files, with the rest being image files. I know, kind of
  weird to version all those binary files, but that was the project I
  was interested in testing this out on. Your mileage may vary and all
  that. Here’s a table summarizing the real times reported by time(1):
</quote>

If I remember correctly there were some patches to git which tried to 
better deal with large blobs. In this simple benchmark git was 
outperformed by Mercurial and even Bazaar-NG a bit.

http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitBenchmarks#head-5657b8361895b5a02c0de39337c410e4d8dcdbce
http://bryan-murdock.blogspot.com/2007/03/cutting-edge-revision-control.html
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland