Subject: Re: Git benchmark - comparison with Bazaar, Darcs, Git and Mercurial

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 01:51:16 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > About clone: there was "pack loose, copy existing packs" idea.
> 
> Can you give more details --- I do not recall such an "idea"
> discussed.

The idea was to avoid repacking, and just pack loose, unpacked objects 
(and save this pack if possible), then concatenate all packs and send 
this concatenated pack as the result. This saves a bit (quite a bit) of 
CPU at the cost of additional bandwidth usage if packfiles are not 
optimized.

The only result of the discussion was that it would be fairly easy to 
send multiple packs concatenated into one pack, without need to add 
some multi-pack extension, as there would be required minor changes to 
split "concatenated" packfiles.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland