Subject: Re: git-svn: commit author x commit committer issue

From: Peter Baumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:13:23 +0200

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 03:46:19PM +0200, Richard MUSIL wrote:
> Normally, when patch is applied, git distinguishes commit author and
> commit committer (relying on info from patch).
> However, after the patches are committed to svn repository using:
> git-svn dcommit
> author and committer data are set to same values (or at least time and
> date, I cannot verify it for names).
> I wonder if there is any reason for this behavior, because I would
> definitely like to keep original commit info (which came from patch) in
> my git repository.

I think it is because in SVN, you can't differentiate between author and
committer. And git-svn just commits every local commit to svn, and after
that, it throws away your local commits and uses the info from the
reimported svn commits to recreate those thrown away commits. Thats why
you loose your author name and also your commit date.

Ok, this was a little too simplified, but describes roughly what happens
if you dcommit your changes.

-Peter