Subject: Re: [PATCH] [1/2many] - FInd the maintainer(s) for a patch - scripts/get_maintainer.pl

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:33:33 +0100

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:40:09AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> A much *better* picture than some manually maintained thing, in fact, 
> because it tells you who really does the work, and which way patches go...
> 
> (Maybe you want to add a
> 
> 	grep -v '\(Linus Torvalds\)\|\(Andrew Morton\)'
> 
> to avoid seeing the normal chain too much, but hey, we probably want to 
> know too. Anyway - the script can certainly be tweaked, the point is 
> really just that the git tree _already_ contains the relevant 
> information).

FWIW, I suspect that we are looking at that from the wrong POV.  If
that's about "who ought to be Cc'd on the issues dealing with <list
of pathnames>", why does it have to be tied to "who is maintainer for
<pathname>"?

I'm not suggesting something like [email-masked] with something
like majordomo allowing to add yourself to those, but something less
extreme in that direction might be worth thinking about...  Hell,
even simple
$ finger fs/minix/[email-masked]
with majordomo-like interface for adding yourself to such lists
might solve most of those problems...