Subject: Re: git-svn: commit author x commit committer issue

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:20:02 -0700

Richard MUSIL <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Normally, when patch is applied, git distinguishes commit author and
> commit committer (relying on info from patch).
> However, after the patches are committed to svn repository using:
> git-svn dcommit
> author and committer data are set to same values (or at least time and
> date, I cannot verify it for names).
> I wonder if there is any reason for this behavior, because I would
> definitely like to keep original commit info (which came from patch) in
> my git repository.

I try to keep commits made to SVN using git-svn as much like commits
made using other SVN clients as much as possible.

Two people using git-svn (in its recommended fashion and maintaining
linear history) can have identical SHA1s in their repository even if
those two repositories had never seen each other before.  Consistency
is good.

I also want to avoid creating extra junk on the SVN repository which I
don't personally consider very important.  SVK does stuff like that with
merges, and only SVK understands the metadata it uses.  I prefer
transparency.

-- 
Eric Wong