Subject: Re: [PATCH] [1/2many] - FInd the maintainer(s) for a patch - scripts/get_maintainer.pl

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:40:29 +0100

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 12:58:19PM +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
 
> Googling around, I see subversion already has this and calls the meta-data 
> "properties" (svn propset/get and friends). It uses a few properties 
> itself, such as the svn:executable property (which I saw is also the only 
> permission bit git keeps) and svn:ignore, which serves the same role as the 
> .gitignore files for git. Both those would fit into this scheme nicely for 
> git as well, if git were to do something similar and reserve for example 
> the "git.*" namespace for internal use.

"svn does it" is usually an indication of a bad idea, but anyway - it's
fundamentally wrong in this case, simply because "$FOO is interested
in $BAR" is a property of $FOO, not of $BAR.

> The git-blame thing as sketched before by Linus would never be able to 
> point out mailing lists, or general lists of "interested parties" for 
> example, but these properties can do anything...

No, they can not.  "I'm interested in drivers/foo/bar.c fixes" is not
an earth-shattering event and it sure as hell does not create a new revision
of the tree.