Subject: Re: Getting a file revision

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:52:29 -0400

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 01:42:30AM +0100, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> This might sound like a novice question but anyway: I sometimes have a
> need to quickly recover an old revision of a file just to check
> something or copy some code from it. I would imagine having a command
> like:
> 
> git-getrev <filename> <commit> or something, and the file would appear
> in its path, or the git root directory as <filename>.<commit>
> 
> Is there an existing way to achieve a similar result? I can certainly
> checkout a branch, revert to that commit I want, copy the file, and
> come back to HEAD, but its not as quick.

Easiest is probably to use git-show together with the
<commit>:<filename> syntax, so e.g.:

	git show v1.4:src/main.c
	git show 74ace5df:Makefile >Makefile.tmp

--b.