Subject: Re: confused about preserved permissions

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:27:08 +0200

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 22:10:42 +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 10:07:19PM +0200, Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Mike Hommey, Mon, Aug 20, 2007 21:50:37 +0200:
> > > On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 09:43:28PM +0200, Jan Hudec <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > > Git does not have tracking of file's history either.
> > > 
> > > Well, it has ways to track file's history, with blame and log, for
> > > example. There is nothing similar for directories, though it could be
> > > possible to do.
> > 
> > It would be not exactly "tracking". You can present the history of
> > changes which involved the said directory.
> > 
> > And you could do it from day one: git log -- sub/dir
> 
> It could be possible to really do tracking, too, like it is possible for
> files (including renames, moves, etc.)

It depends on what you imagine under tracking, but git does not track files
in a sense of knowing about renames, moves etc. Git can't tell you -- and by
design never will -- that file foo was moved to bar in revision abcdef01. All
it can tell you is "looking at the trees, I would guess that file foo was
moved to bar in revision abcdef01". That is not tracking in a sense keeping
track of anything. It is just digging out interesting similarities between
the individual trees.

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>