Subject: Re: [PATCH] Make "git reset" a builtin. (incomplete)

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:27:55 +0100

On Wednesday 2007 August 22, David Kastrup wrote:

> Could you be so kind as to give a one-sentence summary what the
> benefits over using a shell script would be?  I think this work has
> started before I joined the list, and I'd be interested in the
> motivation for it.  In general, I find shell scripts more pleasant for
> hacking on than C code, and there is no long-term plan to replace all

C is far more portable than shell.  I would imagine the primary target is 
Windows, where the shell code makes life hard for the poor mingw folk.  I 
think in general it's a good thing to reduce the number of dependencies in a 
project.

One could also argue that C is faster, but that's probably irrelevant for the 
remaining shell scripts in git.

As to shell being easier than C: I'd say that's a matter of opinion - you 
might find it harder to hack on C, someone else will find it easier.  It was 
always thus.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]