Subject: Re: git-svnimport: what to do after -i?

From: Jing Xue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:00:31 -0400

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 08:29:54AM +0100, Julian Phillips wrote:
> 
> I haven't used svnimport in a while (and never with subprojects), but you 
> seem to be specifying that projectFoo is your trunk - which doesn't seem 
> right.
> 
> I would have expected the command to be:
> 
> git svnimport -C projectFoo -r -A svn-authors -I .gitignore svn://jabba 
> projectFoo

Thanks for bringing it up. :)

My svn structure (see my last email) is somewhat reversed from what
svnimport assumes, which seems to be more along the lines of:

repoRoot
  -trunk
    -projectFoo
    -projectBar
  -tags
    -projectFoo
    -projectBar
  -branches
    -projectFoo
    -projectBar

So in my case I had to kind of cheat svnimport into thinking
'projectFoo' is the name of the "trunk" directory, and 'trunk' is the
actually project name. And I had to create 'dummytags' and
'dummybranches' at repoRoot level (following somebody else's tip found
on this list).

Of course doing so has two problems:

1. I can only import one project at one time, but my plan is to have
separated git repo for each project going forward, so this works out
just fine.

2. I can't actually import any tags and branches because my real tags
and branches are under projectFoo/tags and projectFoo/branches. This is
somewhat a loss, but we can cope with it by having the svn repo around
as the history book.

But then if there is any better way to achieve this, I would certainly
be interested and eager to learn. Thanks.

-- 
Jing Xue