Subject: Re: git-svnimport: what to do after -i?

From: Jing Xue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:06:19 -0400

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 01:18:49AM +0100, Julian Phillips wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Jing Xue wrote:
> 
> >So in my case I had to kind of cheat svnimport into thinking
> >'projectFoo' is the name of the "trunk" directory, and 'trunk' is the
> >actually project name. And I had to create 'dummytags' and
> >'dummybranches' at repoRoot level (following somebody else's tip found
> >on this list).
> 
> Ah, yes ... sorry.  I've actually ended up using a homebrew script for 
> parsing svn dump files and feeding git-fast-import for a number of 
> reasons, so I'm a bit rusty with svnimport, and never looked at multiple 
> projects in one repo anyway.  (One of which was that svnimport wasn't 
> creating a correct import actually - some files and directories were 
> simply missing).

That's... not good to hear about. I should probably look at svn dump as
well.

> I guess you've tried including projectFoo in the url?  Other than that, 
> perhaps git-svn may have better luck?

I tried that too but decided against it as it's relatively OK to lose
some ancient history, but messing up ongoing development due to any
possible issues in the git-svn layer would be quite different a story.
(and from what you just mentioned, that's not entirely a paranoia 8-)

Thanks.
-- 
Jing