Subject: Re: [PATCH] When nothing to git-commit, honor the git-status color setting.

From: Brian Hetro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 05:45:43 -0400

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 04:25:50 -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 02:35:26PM -0400, Brian Hetro wrote:
> 
> > Instead of disabling color all of the time during a git-commit, allow
> > the user's config preference in the situation where there is nothing
> > to commit.  In this situation, the status is printed to the terminal
> > and not sent to COMMIT_EDITMSG, so honoring the status color setting
> > is expected.

> A minor nit on the implementation:
> 
> > +	if test "$status_only" = "t" -o "$use_status_color" = "t"; then
> > +		color=
> > +	else
> > +		color=--nocolor
> > +	fi
> 
> This variable doesn't really say "use color"; it says "don't explicitly
> turn off color". So perhaps there is a better name (respect_color or
> similar)?

I was thinking more along the lines of "use color as if you had run
git-status" when I decided on $use_status_color.  Perhaps there is a
better name.

Brian