Subject: Re: Git User's Survey 2007 partial summary

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 01:48:29 +0200

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007, Dan Chokola wrote:
> On 8/26/07, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> 55. Would commerical (paid) support from a support vendor be of interest
>> to you/your organization?
>>
>> Only 44 answers yes, 217 no, 126 not applicable (which was menat to
>> encompass people who do not use git for work).
> 
> Are questions like this at all indicative of where Git is looking
> towards going? 

This question was actually requested on git mailing list to be in
the survey...

This question is to get to know if there is sufficient demand for
commercial git support for it to be viable. There are two possible
outcomes:

If there is enough demand, then company selling git support can make
a living. Company selling support for git means more git user's (because
some corp needs to have commercial/external support to be present) and
possibly more developers. It is possible that some revenue falls to main
git developers, be it by paying somebody to hack on git, or paying for
some feature or for fixing a bug fast.

If there is not enough demand, better to know it from onset that to have
company which tries to provide git support bancrupt. No failed support
company means no bad publicity on git; it _might_ mean that community
support is enogh for git...

Note that commercial (paid) support does not clash
with GPL. One does not need change in license to have commercial
git support. GPL allows paid support.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland