Subject: Re: repo.or.cz wishes?

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:13:45 -0400

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 12:15:23AM -0400, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> > This is morally the same, but it makes the hardlink step easier (only
> > one pack to link from A to B), and by using git-gc mit makes it
> > conceptually easier for people to understand what's going on.
> > 
> > git --git-dir=A gc
> > ln A/.git/objects/pack/* B/.git/objects/pack
> > git --git-dir=B gc --prune
> > git --git-dir=A prune
> 
> No, it won't work.
> 
> The problem is that during the first `git --git-dir=A gc` call
> you are deleting packfiles that may contain objects that B needs.
> *poof*.  

But "git-gc" without the --prune doesn't delete any objects.  So it
should always be safe to use git-gc even if there are repositories
that are relying on that repo's ODB.  It's only if you use git-gc
--prune that you could get in troudble.  It might delete some
packfiles containing objects needed by B, but only after consolidating
all of the objects into a single packfile that contains all of the
objects that had always been in A's ODB.

So I don't see why this wouldn't work.

						- Ted