Subject: Re: gitweb and remote branches

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:53:28 +0200

On Fri, 31 August 2007, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On 8/30/07, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> That reminds me that gitweb has no support for detached HEAD as of yet,
>>> although I don't think we want to encourage detached HEAD in public
>>> repo.
[...]
>> But obviously people use gitweb/instaweb as a way to view their
>> own live repository, and I think it makes sense to show and
>> support remotes/ in such a case.  It also would make sense to
>> support detached HEAD there as well.
> 
> If I understand correctly, a detached HEAD is simply a checkout in the
> middle of a branch, and thus not named. So what exactly are we looking
> for when we talk about supporting a detached HEAD? Would it be enough
> to display HEAD in the list of heads?

I think we want display HEAD in the list of heads if it is detached,
and also use it as a ref marker, while only marking (with undeline or
bold style) current head as such if HEAD is not detached, i.e. is
symref or symlink.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland