Subject: Re: People unaware of the importance of "git gc"?

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 10:51:58 +0200

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:39:52AM +0000, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Johan Herland <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > When git-fetch and git-commit has done its job and is about to exit, it checks 
> > the number of loose object, and if too high tells the user something 
> > like "There are too many loose objects in the repo, do you want me to repack? 
> > (y/N)". If the user answers "n" or simply <Enter>,
> 
> I don't like commands to be interactive if they don't _need_ to be so.
> It kills scripting, it makes it hard for a front-end (git gui or so)
> to use the command, ...

  There is absolutely no problem here, as it can be avoided if the
output is not a tty. It's not _that_ hard to guess if you're currently
running in a script or in an interactive shell after all.

  Really, git commit/fetch/... whatever suggesting to repack/gc when it
believes it begins to be critical to performance is not a bad idea.
Though the risk is that the warning could be printed very often, but
that can be avoided trivially by just writing to a state file in the
.git directory that the warning was printed not so long time ago, and
that git should STFU for some more commits/time.

-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org