Subject: Re: Significant performance waste in git-svn and friends

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:16:59 -0400

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Mike Hommey <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The same things obviously apply to git-cvsimport and other scripts
> > calling git-hash-object a lot.
> 
> I *obviously* hate this patch, as it makes this Porcelain
> command to be aware of the internal representation too much.

Me too.  I think its bad enough that fast-import knows the
internal representation of a packfile.  And its plumbing!
 
> I wonder if letting fast-import handle the object creation is an
> option, though.

I agree.  This is *exactly* what fast-import was built for.  It
really would be the better tool to use here.  Much better than
reinventing the wheel.  Its already been invented twice for you
in Git (normal object creation path and fast-import path).  No
need to do it a third time.

-- 
Shawn.