Subject: Re: Significant performance waste in git-svn and friends

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 00:55:57 -0400

Eric Wong <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Making git-svn use fast-import would be very nice.  I've got a bunch
> of other git-svn things that I need to work on, but having git-svn
> converted to use fast-import would be nice.  Or allowing Git.pm
> to access more of the git internals...
> 
> However, how well/poorly would fast-import work for incremental
> fetches throughout the day?

It would work just fine.  git-p4 uses fast-import and runs it in
incremental mode all of the time.

What will happen is you will get a packfile per git-svn fetch, so
if you fetch 5 times that day you will get 5 packfiles that day.
But you could also get 5 packfiles from git-fetch if each of those
fetches brought in 100 or more new objects.  So it really is not
that big of a deal.

At some point the number of packfiles gets out of control, but so
does the number of loose objects.  Repacking is the obvious fix in
both cases.

-- 
Shawn.