Subject: Re: Track /etc directory using Git

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:27:24 +0200

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 03:24:55PM +0000, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]> [2007.09.15.1629 +0200]:
> >   I fear that you'll end up with quite a big bloat of git, for a use
> > case that is fairly limited.
> 
> I think it doesn't get bloated until you try to support the model of
> tracking different stuff for different files in the same repo. If
> you just track one set of data across all files in the repo, I don't
> think it'll cause too much bloat.

  Yeah but if the stuff is opaque to git, you'll definitely end up with
security issues, which makes it also a no-go for /etc versionning.

  Note that I don't specifically care about git being able to deal with
/etc, I was just pointing out some issues I can see with it, but I'm
neiter in favor nor against it.

-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org