Subject: commit summary, --pretty=short and other tools

From: Mike Hommey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:21:36 +0200

Hi,

I kind of shot myself in the foot with how to type proper commit
messages.

The git-commit manual page reads:
  Though not required, it´s a good idea to begin the commit message with a
  single short (less than 50 character) line summarizing the change,
  followed by a blank line and then a more thorough description. 

... and I happen to not have done the "followed by a blank line" part.

Now, git log --pretty=oneline (for instance), shows me the full commit
message on one line, which is not really what I would expect...

On the other hand, and that's how I got trapped into this, gitweb and
gitk only display the first line, be it followed by a blank line or not.

So, IMHO, there would be 2 solutions:
- either change --pretty=oneline,short and other similar things to take
  only the first line and change the git-commit manpage (and whenever
  else this might be written)
- or change gitweb, gitk and any other tool that would only take the
  first line so that it takes the same summary as --pretty=oneline.

What do you think ?

Mike